• Christmas Love Lights 2022

    The Arcadia Area Historical Society is once again hosting a Community Love Light Ceremony.  For each donation of $3.00 you may sponsor a light

    "In Memory of..." and/or "In Honor of..."  a special person.

    Lighting Ceremony

    Saturday, December 3rd 2022 at 6:30 p.m.

    Location: 401 Washington Street in the English Garden

    We then invite you to join us inside the museum for Holiday music by Holy Family Children's Violinists and the AHS Accidentals.

    Refreshments will be served!

    Make checks payable to: Love Lights

    Send payment to: 

    Love Lights

    PO Box 211

    Arcadia, WI 54612

  • Pine Creek

    Pine Creek put down roots in 1862 when John Schmangle settled there. In 1863, there were no improved roads into Pine Creek. The market points were Trempealeau Village and Fountain City all the year around, and Winona when the river was frozen. With no improved road over the ridge, communication with Arcadia was most difficult. A mill was built in Pine Creek in the 1860's. It was washed out by a flood in 1872 and was not rebuilt.

  • Marshland

    Marshland was asleep in its early years. There was only the early settler traffic following Trail #35. Its existence was hardly noticed. Building the Green Bay railroad in 1873, the workers needed a place to stay along with entertainment and liquor. The Marshland House became a realilty.

    The activity started as passengers needed a place to transfer between trains. This is when Marshland really developed because of the railroad junction. A depot had to be built for the travelers to change trains and purchase tickets, a well drilled for the water tower, and spurs had to be built in a yard to transfer freight cars. It also had a saloon with a post office for handling the mail in the area as well as transferring the mails between trains and stages that were still operating.

    In July of 1874, work was to commence on a turn table where the engines could be turned around for the return trip to Green Bay.

    In 1874, Ketchum & Company operated a steam and water sawmill in Marshland that produced lumber and large quantities of timber for the trestle work in the area. ... This was a cheap way for the settlers to get lumber they needed and gave the company more business then they could handle.

    Marshland & Whistler's Pass on Trail #35 by Ron Galewski

  • Waumandee

    The Waumandee country was first settled in 1853 by Henry Mueller and Mathias Profitlitch. A short time later Theodore Meuli settled in the Big Waumandee Valley. In 1854 came Ulich Knecht, J. H. Manz, and probably John Bringolf. Robert Henry came here that year, and then returned to Racine for his family, which be brought here the following spring, making the trip here with an ox team and a covered wagon.

     

    At the first election Robert Henry was elected chairman and town superintendent, and Levi Card town clerk. At that time there was no mill in operation in this valley or neighborhood and the earliest settlers were obliged to go to Rollingstone to get their grain reduced to flour. That they had to get groceries and other necesssary things in Fountain City or Alma was a matter of course. In 1862 Caspar Schmitz and his wife came to the Big Waumandee and began to keep store and saloon near the Catholic Church. The organization of the town was begun by a resolution of the county board March 13 1856 and about 1870-1880 could boast to two stores, two taverns and several blacksmith shops in different parts of the township.

    Waumandee post office was established in 1857 with J. H. Manz as postmaster. Waumandee village was platted June 27 1871. Anchorage post office was established February 12, 1868 with Robert Henry as postmaster.
    (History of Buffalo and Pepin Counties Wisconsin, Compiled by Franklyn Curtiss-Wedge, 1919)

  • North Creek

    North Creek lies wholly in the town of Arcadia. The name came to be applied this way: In the early pioneer days the valley was north from the Bishop settlement (now Arcadia) and hence was called North Creek. North Creek refers to a little trout stream that divides the North Creek Valley, running from east to west and emptying into the Trempealea River. Its very first settlers were Polish families - those of Albert Bautsch, Joseph Stanoskey and a man named Weaver, who settled there in 1867, and who was soon followed by Louis Wojczik and others in 1868, 1869, and 1870. Thereafter, up to 1875, Polish families continued to come in and the valley became the very first Polish settlement north of the ridge in the county. The public school was built on the north half of the northeast quarter of 26-21-9, and a church was built nearby with a cemetery in 1872-1873. St. Michael's Parish church was destroyed by fire in 1920 and the current building was constructed shortly thereafter. A school was built near the church in 1887. This original building burnt in 1909 with a new school constructed in 1910. In 1940, the school became part of the Arcadia Public School system